Wednesday, June 9, 2010

when life gives you crap...

Grab the plunger. Today when I got home from work, I discovered the joy of a clogged toilet. I have dealt with this kind of thing before, but usually I have the opportunity to share it with my dad and he takes care of it for me. In this case I had no such option, seeing as my parents are currently out of the country. So I grabbed the plunger. As I plunged, and plunged and kept plunging, I started to think about all the "crap" that life tends to dish out. Sometimes the "toilet" can get clogged with all sorts of unpleasant things to deal with. In these cases, we have some options. We can ignore it and hope it goes away, we can dump it on someone else for them to deal with, but sometimes we simply don't have that option, and in that case we have to grab the plunger.

Sometimes when we start plunging, a little bit of the crap water splashes on us, so we learn how to handle it so that that doesn't happen again. After a few plunges, we may think that the problem should be fixed, so we try and flush only to find that we made it worse. So we finally figure out that the only way to fix the problem is to keep plunging, keep going until the result is finally seen. It is unpleasant. It isn't fun. But it is necessary. And just when we think that the stupid toilet will never unclog, there is a beautiful gurgling noise and voila. All the crap is gone.

In my life, I've been given some crap. And I've tried to ignore it for a while, or dump it on someone else. But I know that that doesn't work. So I've grabbed the plunger, and tried to fix the problem. Sometimes I go in with good intentions but I haven't quite figured out how to handle the problem, and some crap water gets on me. And there have been times when I thought the problem was fixed, only to find that flushing made it worse. Sometimes it feels like it will never get better. But I know that if I keep plunging, there will someday be a beautiful sound and I will know that I have successfully unclogged the toilet.

I'm really grateful for the opportunities that I have every day to learn and grow, even from the unpleasant experiences. Unclogging the crap from the toilet isn't really all that bad in retrospect. This won't be either.

4 comments:

Janice {Run Far} said...

I really giggled during this post. I giggled and then I was like.... wait a minute... she is so right, and I love how you related the plunging of poop, to the plunging of the poop life sends our way. LOL- you are so dang cute. I love you. Cant wait to see you in 5 weeks.

Beka said...

haha only you would find life lessons in plunging a toilet. you should use this for an inspirational talk.... but maybe not. its kind of graphic. but, i love it. you are so smart! love you!

The Hurst Family said...

Loved this analogy. Very true and profound. Glad you understand this principle already in your young life. Keep plunging.

sky michelle said...

Basically, I think you are a genius! haha I think that you should be a professional public speaker. and i love you dearly. that is all :)