Sunday, June 6, 2010

a time to change.

I honestly didn't think that being graduated would feel very different from being in high school. I was very wrong. It's been a huge change, at least for me. Here are some things that just feel different:

For one, throughout all of high school, and especially with being on Seminary Council I have had this perception about dating and being serious with someone and that high school was not the time for that. And I still really believe that. One of my best friends described it so perfectly. She said, "high school is the time to develop your personal relationship with Heavenly Father, not with a guy or girl." And i 100% agree with that. I'm so glad that I avoided anything serious with anyone throughout my high school years. I almost made it the whole way not having kissed anyone, but I had my first kiss at prom. :) Anyway, all of that is beside the point. I've had this "no-dating" mentality for a long time now, and now that high school is over, it's been a little confusing. I've had questions about "is it ok to start being serious with people?" and after a lot of speculation, I think that it is. And I'm not totally sure what all that entails right now, but I will figure it out.

Things pertaining to my curfew, my chores and other rules have changed dramatically. I actually wasn't really expecting that, but I don't have a curfew anymore, I apparently don't have to ask to go places, I don't have to do chores, I mostly can do whatever I want. Which I really like, but I'm trying to still be involved with my family. My mom may not believe I am doing that, but I really am.

Today I went to the singles ward for the first time. I didn't really know what to expect, and I didn't know if I would like it, but I actually really loved it. I felt very comfortable there, and I really respected the people who were teaching. They are only a few years older than me, but they seemed so confident in what they were doing. I had also really been expecting that it would feel as though we were just pretending, and playing the parts and filling the roles. It wasn't like that at all. Everything felt very real, and the whole time I kept thinking "this is where I need to be." And it is where I wanted to be. It was really great.

My job: I am working full-time at Wavetronix this summer making traffic sensors. I LOVE this job. So much. The one and only down side is that I have to wake up at 5:15 every morning so be to work at 6. Other than that, I love the people, the work, the pay, and I like getting home at 3 every day. It's the perfect job. :) You should be jealous.

It's bizzare to me that two weeks ago I was still suffering through high school, and I couldn't imagine my life being any different than it was. Then after one simple ceremony, everything has changed forever. There is no going back. It's actually a really awesome feeling. I like this transitory stage going on right now, and I get more and more excited for college every day. Here's to life...bring it on!

2 comments:

sky michelle said...

So much has changed i completely agree... Im kinda struggling with the whole still living at home thing though like i still have a curfew and am still expected to do things around the house, in short my mom doesn't like me anywhere but home working.... its kinda been a pain and kinda ruining me and my mommy's relationship but im trying! Its so weird growning up but you sound like you have it all figured out!! Go you girl!! :) We need to play soon! Love you!

JKZABRISKIE said...

It's a great feeling getting life figured out! But just wait for when you move away and your environment changes :) You once again have to re-evaluate life, but now that you have the gist of it, it's a lot easier than the first time, at least for me it was. :) I'm so happy to hear that you are doing so great!