Wednesday, September 1, 2010

perspective shifts

Well. I made it through my 6 day babysitting job. I knew it was going to be hard, and it very much was. The kids were very cute and good for the most part, I just don't think I fully comprehended that being a mom is such a CONSTANT job. It doesn't stop, it doesn't end. There is no time for you except for after you get the kids in bed, and then that is the time I would clean the condo. A few of the things we did to stay occupied and entertained:

Watched a lot of Disney Movies
Played the wii
Went to McDonald's (where I was asked "is that your baby?" NO!!!)
Played at my house with my siblings (which was a HUGE blessing and gave me some relief)
Went to Discovery Park
Went to the Pool
Got ice cream at Macey's
Went to my home ward

The whole experience gave me such a different perspective about women and mothers. I've always had respect for motherhood but I have NEVER comprehended all that goes into being a mother. Everything does. You give up every part of yourself for your kids. It's amazing to me. I had a deadline, and end in sight, but when I am a mother, it will be for life.

It also gave me new respect for my mom and helped me understand why she has done the things that she has and also gratitude for the way I was raised. Dealing with tantrums all the time and trying to get past those made me wonder how to raise a child not to act like that, and I'm grateful that my parents raised me the way they did.

I'm glad that I got to do this, and especially that I got to do it right before I leave. It made me fully realize how much potential I have and all of the opportunites I get to take. Marriage and children are years away for me, and that is an exciting thought, because there is SO MUCH that I want to do and accomplish. Don't get me wrong, I will get married when the time is right regardless of what is going on, I'm planning on relying heavily on Heavenly Father to show me when that time is. But I'm just so glad that that time isn't right now. I'm so excited to see what college life has in store for me, and all the amazing things I am going to participate in. Less than one week now. So exciting. :)

3 comments:

Valorie said...

Love your post!

The Hurst Family said...

Thanks for the appreciation. It makes all the sacrifice through the years worth it.

Mel said...

Wow, Am! Good for you! You will make a great mommy someday!