Thursday, October 21, 2010

music theory

I LOVE my music theory class. Thanks to AP music, I got to by pass the first three classes and get into musicianship 2. And I adore it.
I love analyzing a piece of music, and knowing the form, what and where the cadances are, if it modulates.
I love dictating. Hearing an excerpt of music and writing down the notes and rythmn. So exhilirating.
I love part writing. I love that there are rules that you have to follow and a formula to plug things into.
I love knowing the qualities of chords and how they resolve.
I love hearing any random two notes anywhere in the world and being able to say "Perfect 4th", "Minor 6th" etc.
I love the feeling that comes when I get my assignments back, listen to the groans behind me and examine my high score.
I love that I am a freshman in a class of second semester sophmores and I am leaving them in the dust.
I love the intricacies of music, the incredile complexity of it, the beautiful, recurring patterns, the math, the consistency of it.
Heavenly Father is amazing for creating something so wonderful as music.

No comments: